Thursday, March 21, 2013

Lost and found in the library

       Well spring break is here HALLELUJAH!  I would like to be able to report that I have gone on some fancy spa like trip or been on a hair raising adventure but alas all I have to report for my spring break adventure is a trip to our local library.   As this week began, my husband asked me what I was going to do with a whole week without children (both classroom and my personal children).  Like most mothers, my instant reply was "SLEEP!"  Then I told him I would probably go in to work a little everyday.  He looked at me with astonishment and asked why.  I told him that going into this last nine weeks of school I would like to get a little bit ahead.  He looked at me with all frankness and said "To be honest with you.... you need a break."  Then he listed off some helpful things I could do with my time instead of going to work.  One of those suggestions caused both of us to laugh.  He said to me "Go to the library and just wander around for hours.  Read a magazine, look at some books, NOT kid books, sit and read, ...............just go find yourself in the library."  
       Now going to the library is not in and of itself comical however, the idea that I would "find myself" there was indeed a little bit funny.  But hey, I have a week without kids why not try it out right?  So today I went to the library. I returned some long overdue items.  I paid a fine.  I got a new library card.  I searched the online database for authors and books I would like to read (only to find out they had none of them).  My brother had suggested a Joel Osteen book so I decided to mosey on over to the 200's and began looking at some of his books.  Not really finding one of his that jumped out, I looked at Beth Moore's books, and then at several other authors whose books caught my interest.   Long story short, next thing I knew, I was curled up in the corner of the library trying to decide which book out of four to take home.  
      One of the four books was Joyce Meyer's  Reduce me to Love.   This was not a book I had ever heard of before nor was it one of her newest books.  In fact it was over a decade old.  The cover was white with a simple gold locket on it.  I really don't know why I chose it from the shelf at all except that it had the word love in the title and that word seems to be coming back to me over and over again lately.  So while in my little corner of the library I began reading and within a short time I had read to chapter four!  So I checked it out and brought it home.  I can't say that I "found myself" in the library today but I can say that I found a book that speaks to me and encourages me to find a better version of myself by following Jesus' commandment to love others.   Not a bad way to spend a day of Spring Break after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment