Friday, March 15, 2013

Reminders are a good thing!

         This might sound terrible but, I am not a big fan of Paul.  Many times while reading his writings I have had to stop and take a deep breath.  Sometimes his tone bothers me,  sometimes I think he sounds like a boaster (even though he claims he is not one), and sometimes it is his opinion of women.  That being said, the bits of what he says in-between all that, the parts he has to say about Jesus, are powerful, inspiring, and serve as truthful reminders to me about my identity in Christ.  
         In 2 Timothy 2:11-13 Paul is giving Timothy a word to trust in.  "If we die with him, we will also live with him.  If we endure hardship, we will reign with him.  If we deny him, he will deny us.  If we are unfaithful, he remains faithful, for he cannot deny who he is (NLT)."  I view the first two sayings as promises for followers of Jesus.  Dying to the selfish ways of the world around me and living for Jesus means I have life with him.   When things get tough and hardships come my way I need to hang in there.  I certainly have not suffered the way Jesus did and now his is King of Kings and Lord of Lords.  Getting to reign with him sounds great!  The third saying makes me feel sad because it is the reality of not choosing Jesus.  And the last saying lays it all out there for me.   I might be a mess but Jesus never has been and never will be. 
            All these sayings are ones I can trust in but my favorite one is the last.  It gives me hope and confidence.  I might be unfaithful in areas of my life.  I might run from his love and my responsibilities.  My actions might not always bring glory to his name. All this and yet, I have hope because Paul's words remind me that Jesus REMAINS faithful.  No matter what I am doing he stays faithful because he "CANNOT deny who he is".  He just can't do it.  He knows who his is and what he has done. He knows where he came from and who he belongs to.  He knows the future.  He is unlike me.  Sometimes I forget and I deny who I am. I forget that I am his child.  I forget that I have an inheritance.  I forget that his love for me is in an unending well that never runs dry.  I forget that his death wipes away all my sin and shortcomings so that I can be free. I forget, until I read my bible.  Then from the man that might be my least favorite writer comes a great reminder.  Paul's words remind me that I have a treasure that I can trust.... the truth that Jesus' faithfulness is not contingent upon mine!  Thank goodness :)
  
      
      

No comments:

Post a Comment