Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Summer vacation

       Every Christmas my mother-in-law buys each of us a wall calendar.  This year she gave me a table top calendar- Inspirations for Daily Life by the Association for Lutherans.  Each page has a pretty picture, an inspirational saying, and a bible scripture.  Many times since December, I have flipped the page and thought "Wow, that is just a perfect word for where I am today!"  Well today I flipped the page and had to smile at today's saying and verse.


       
               Vacations are for rest and renewal.  They are for visiting loved ones and taking time to enjoy the small stuff.  Being a teacher, I love the two months I get off for summer vacation.  Our family doesn't always have the finances to plan to go anywhere fancy however, I find that I am just as happy getting to spend time doing things with my girls and focusing on pet projects  around my house.  I also love that in the summer I have established a morning routine where the main purpose is to spend time with God.  I wake up, get dressed, get a bowl of cereal, get my coffee, and then I sit down at my little kitchen table to do my daily bible reading followed by prayer time.  That routine is definitely a luxury that I only get to enjoy during my summer vacation and just yesterday I thought sadly "When school comes I sure will miss this time."  Today's verse made my think about my "Summer Vacation with Jesus."  Does it have to end just because in August my work schedule will get busy and hectic?  Can't I vacation with Jesus anytime?  
               I think I need to change my idea of quality "Jesus vacation" time. Other types of vacations come in all shapes and sizes from day trips, to weekend getaways, to week long retreats.  The same can be said of spending time with Jesus.  It is nice to be able to take a week long trip where you spend thirty minutes to an hour daily really soaking in the word and prayer.  I do need that but, it is not always feasible.  But what other times, ones that look more like a day trip or weekend getaway with God, give my mind a rest from my daily worries and burdens and renew my heart?  Singing to a worship song does it, cleaning to the Sirrus FM Praise channel does it,  reading books by Christian authors like Francine Rivers does it,  reading my daily email from Provers 31 does it, enjoying a sunrise, sunset, (anything in nature) does it, praying while driving in the car does it.  I realized that I can vacation with Jesus anytime.  I don't have to pack or unpack.  I don't have to load anything up or unload anything.  No one is asking me "Are we almost there yet?"  And best of all, the benefits are always amazing no matter the amount of time I can give.  That's just how great he is, that just a little time in his presence can be so restful, so renewing that we want to and can't wait to spend more and more "vacation" time with him.       

No comments:

Post a Comment