Wednesday, June 13, 2012

My heart's alignment

       Today I read about King Ahab and King Jehoshaphat and their joint decision to go to war with the town of Ramoth-gilead.  They both consulted prophets.  Ahab wanted only to consult his prophets but Jehoshaphat wanted to consult a prophet of the Lord.  Ahab did not want to consult the Lord's prophet because he hated Macaiah and he did not want to hear anything that was troubling.  Jehoshaphat pressed on to hear from Macaiah and as Ahab said, his prophecy was indeed troubling.  In the end the two kings went to war.  God watched over Jehoshaphat and Ahab died.  
       As I continued reading about Jehoshaphat's actions after the battle, the difference between the hearts of these two kings became very clear to me.  Prior to the battle Ahab lived for himself, he wanted only to hear what coincided with his selfish motives. His put his pleasure above pleasing the Lord.   His heart was turned inward.  The bible says that "no one else so completely sold himself to what was evil in the Lord's sight (1 Kings 21:25 NLT)."  His most outrageous offense was worshipping other idols.  However Jehoshaphat, understanding that going to war with Ahab had been wrong on his part, went out among his people and encouraged them to return to the Lord.  He appointed judges and told them to "always act in fear of the Lord, with faithfulness and an undivided heart (2 Chronicles 19:9 NLT)."  When faced with peril, Jehoshaphat called out to God for guidance and help.   He professed him as the one true God.  All the men, women, and children of Judah stood with him as he sought God's help and professed his authority.  He encouraged his people to believe in God, his word, his faithfulness, and his unfailing love.  Together they turned their hearts toward God and were able to praise him despite grim circumstances.  They trusted he would do exactly what he said he would do.  Their heart's were aligned toward God and he saved them.  
       This story has prompted my to ask myself today "How is my heart aligned?"  Is it aligned to serving/seeking what I think is right or serving/seeking what is right in God's sight.   I want my heart to be like Jehoshaphat's and his people.  I want it to be aligned with the things of God and turned away from my selfish nature.  I want to trade in my heart and all of its selfish and ugly ways.  In return I want God to give me a heart like his. A heart that seeks out what is right, what is good.  A heart that praises him and seeks his wisdom.  A heart that loves others, shows compassion, and serves with happiness.   My heart for his.... yep, that is what I am after.   That is my journey.  That is my quest.  

No comments:

Post a Comment